ROCK HILL, S.C. – Ali Bennett finished ninth at the 34th annual Winthrop/Adidas Invitational. She helped lead the Pioneer women's team to a 3rd place overall finish in Non Division I standings. The Pioneer's top five finishers were Alexandra Bennett, Italia Jones, Jesse Defalco, Kabri Gardner and De'ja Marshall. The Pioneers men did not enter a full team although Jacob Lewis lead the men's results with a 31st finish.
Men's 8K and Women's 5K
Sept. 16, 2017
Pioneer Highlights (Non Division I Standings)
- Ali Bennett finished the women's 5K race 9th overall in Non Division I standings.
- Italia Jones helped the women's team with a 16th overall finish.
- Freshman Jacob Lewis improves his 8k performance with a 31st overall finish.
- WV Wesleyan took the top women's spot with 35 points of the 12 total teams.
- Georgia College took the top men's spot with 29 points of the 9 total teams.
"The team was a little sluggish today. I don't think they have recovered fully from the half marathon last Saturday. Its dangerous scheduling race events back to back like this and expect blow out performances. The team just got caught up in the excitment last week in the half marathon and overran that race for this time of early season. They paid the price for it today but I am very proud of their grit and this will payoff as the season moves forward. We have two weeks before the Louisville Classic to let things catch up a bit. The women's finish today in Non Division I standings was very solid and something we will take as a positive for sure." says head coach Ken Roach
Cross Country will travel to Tom Sawyer Park in Lousiville. Ky on Sept. 30, 2017 to compete in the The Lousiville Classic.